Monday, March 7, 2011

Wedding Rambles - Why Have a Wedding?

Throughout our relationship Mr. B and I have been asked and at times a little pressured to just go to the courthouse and get married. For many couples that's exactly what they want to do and they don't even think twice about having a marriage ceremony and reception. But for me, that was never an option. And no, I wasn't one of those girls who has had dreams about her wedding day since she was 6 but I did know that I wanted to have a ceremony and reception.

I've only been to 1 wedding in my lifetime but for that one I really felt the love and commitment between the two individuals and for that short time, I really felt a part of their love celebration. And that was one of the main reasons why I decided that there was no other way. I would love to save money and just elope because I can be somewhat of a penny-pincher at times, but after these 7 long years together I think we deserve a day to celebrate our love on a grand scale with our closest family and friends.

Another reason I wanted a wedding was because my parents never had a wedding. Although they are divorced now, I always wonder what my parents wedding would've looked like. And for my children I want them to be able to experience our wedding day and see the love that we have for one another.

I'm not going to lie, as we start to shell out more deposits and think about the money we've committed to vendors, eloping is a great and frugal way to go. But I have to continue to remind myself that the wedding isn't just about our love story but its about the all the wonderful individuals that we'll be celebrating with as well and sharing the beginning of our lives together as husband and wife.

Why did you decide to have a wedding celebration vs. just eloping?

3 comments:

  1. Because I too have been dating the mister for almost 7 years (8 when we get married) and daggone it! I want a party! I love weddings, they're so fun! When do you get the chance to dress up and throw a party like that, in one's life? Hopefully it's a once in a lifetime thing and I want to commemorate it in the best way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Maria Yep, my sentiments exactly and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really want all our friends and family to be there to celebrate with us - sure, it's he and I getting married, but I think that's reason to get together with everyone!

    Admittedly, I've also had thoughts about just scratching the whole thing and going to a JOP and calling it a day. But what fun is that?! I'm super eager to wear my white dress and party it up!

    ReplyDelete