Thursday, January 6, 2011

Considering All Floral Alternatives

By now you know that were planning a wedding on a tight budget and what puts dents in wedding budgets...flowers! I've never been a huge flower fan. Some may think it's a nice romantic gesture but to me it's just money thrown out the window because they'll just die a few days later. I'd rather have something more tangible that will last which I can remember for years to come. But with planning a wedding that simple logic went right out the window. I now find myself searching for floral inspiration and getting lost in beautiful weddings that feature the coveted peony (cha-ching!!), every brides dream flower.

But what do you do when you have a meager flower budget? I don't want to rule out fresh flowers all together but I don't want to waste money on a bunch of botanical decor that will be wilted and dead the next day.

So I've been thinking about ways to mix it up a bit. Inexpensive yet, luxe looking fresh flowers with  paper flowers, fabric flowers, or fake flowers (thinking of that still makes me cringe a little) that can be arranged by yours truly. I've been stalking blogs and collecting inspiration pics of all these alternative flowers and I'm starting to think that if I can do it right and take my time, they could actually turn out alright and add some charm and help me save some money in the process.

Another reason that I've been thinking about going the DIY route in terms  flowers is because of the bouquet. I could save it for years to come until I get sick of looking at it and it will be a constant reminder of our wedding day. Take a look at this beauty...

Rock N Roll Bride

2 comments:

  1. That bouquet is beautiful!

    I'm also not a huge flower person, but I love the look of baby's breath bouquets.. it can actually look quite elegant and it's super budget friendly! Also, Costco actually has great flowers.. if you were up for a DIY floral arrangement, you can always get flowers there the day before the wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @steph cThat is a great idea. Now I'm going to find myself stalking the flower section at Costco's or BJ's for some great flower deals. And I'm definitely using baby's breath somewhere in my decor, it's such a chic inexpensive option.

    ReplyDelete