Monday, January 10, 2011

Just Talk it Out


I had been having a tough time lately thinking about a wedding issue with one of my wedding vendors, catch up on the details here. But after a quick and much needed conversation last week with said vendor, I feel as though a boulder has been lifted from my shoulders. I hadn't realized how much this situation was bothering me and affecting my overall mood. It had been consuming my thoughts for weeks now. But from this situation I have learned one very important thing about dealing with vendors which is actually common sense but common sense kinda went right out the window for me in this situation.

They're wedding professionals NOT mind readers
And in this case, I thought since they had worked with many brides before me they sort of automatically knew what my expectations were...wrong! In any relationship whether business or personal it's important to communicate and sometimes over communicate. I had expectations of how our business relationship should flow that I hadn't expressed and this ultimately led to me being disappointed with the services that I was receiving. But you know what they say about assuming...so yeah...don't. So with any of your wedding vendors have a quick chat about what your expectations are when dealing with them. But before you have this conversation think about a couple of things:

  1. What is your preferred communication style (phone, email, video chat, etc)? You could be bombarded with calls when you prefer email exchanges.
  2. How involved do you want to be in the overall process? Are you giving them free reign and you'll just show up or do you want to be involved every step of the way.
  3. What are your priorities? Help them stay focused on what you're placing value on for your day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment