Monday, January 3, 2011

Top Tips for Filene's ROTB Success

After writing about my experience with Running of the Brides (ROTB) here in DC, I thought it might be helpful to offer some tips to those of you out there thinking to tackle this event in your city. But before I get into the tips here's a link to the 2011 event schedule in case you were wondering.

{1} Keep It Simple Stupid - small teams are just as efficient as large ones and in my case a team of two was able to get the job done just fine.

{2} Have a Game Plan - No matter how large or small your team is having a plan of attack will keep everyone organized and on the same page. At the outset, my mom and I decided it would be better for us to split up to cover more area. We also decided on a rendezvous point at an obvious spot in the back area of the store where it appeared to be a little less crowded, plus there were full length mirrors available nearby as well, a great plus.

{3} Don't be Picky - the gowns are in plastic bags so they may not look like much of anything hanging on the rack when you first see them but scoop up anything that looks remotely like something you would want to try on. And in terms of sizes, bridal sizes are not street sizes, so don't get caught up in the number, plus alterations are your friend.

{4} But Know Your Style - It helps when going into the experience to know whether or not you like ballgowns or prefer mermaid style dresses but don't worry if you have no clue either. It can help you narrow down your choices and limit the selections to save some precious time in your hunt for the perfect dress. For example, if you know you don't want a cream colored dress, stay away from 'em. But continue to keep tip #3 in mind at all times.

{5} Stay on Your Toes - there are dresses lying everywhere, some of which are still being considered by other brides and others which just haven't been put back on the racks yet. So always keep an eye out for any dress that may appeal to you, but make sure you ask someone in the dress' vicinity if there is a bride still considering it, if not, take it away and try it on. It just might be the one.

{6} Dress for the Occasion - Wear something that fits closely to the body that you're also comfortable with others seeing as well. There are dressing rooms available but it's so much quicker to try on dresses out in the open. Believe me you don't want to be one of those chicks out there in your grannie panty bloomers for everyone to see. I decided to wear a pair of leggings and a strapless bra under a tunic style shirt that was easy to get on and off without revealing too much skin.

{7} Pack Light - Do yourself a favor and leave the big handbags and totes at home. Between carrying around 3-5 dresses at once and hunting for others, a large bag doesn't really fit into the equation. If I had to it all over again, I would have brought a simple wristlet to carry my essentials and a digital camera.

{8} Don't Overlook Future Alterations - For the budget brides, when choosing your dress think about how you want it to look when you're  walking down the aisle. If your vision requires a laundry list of alterations it might not be as cost effective as you think, buying a $599 dress that requires almost $400 in major alterations might not be such a bargain after all.

In the end, the biggest tip I could give would be to keep an open mind during the experience because it will go a long way.

Please share your experiences and tips if you've ever done ROTB, I'd love to see what you have to share. And I promise the actual photo of the dress is still on the way, I haven't forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. I give you credit for going to ROTB.. I think I would get so overwhelmed! My good friend wanted to go to the Boston one (which I hear is the biggest..?) but it fell through. Great advice for ladies who do intend to go, though!

    ReplyDelete